Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:50:46 EEST

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 01:43:42 +0200, CK wrote:
> > If you don't know SuperCollider, check www.audiosynth.com. It's the best
> > audio/music programming environment/language I've ever used or even seen.
> > But it's not free, as in both freedom and money. You need a Mac and 250 US$.
>
> that's really a problem I might buy a linux version but then again I would
> much rather donate 250$ to a GNUcollider project

Same here. The reason I'm (trying) to use linux for making music is that I
was tired of buggy, expensive apps I couldn't fix.

Now I have buggy Free apps, I can't understand ;) But making bug reports
to the developers seems to be much more effective though, I've had fixes
within an hour - the best I can remember from a commercial audio app was
more like 6 months.

> > One question: is it legal to use the SC documentation to create the
> > objects, and then
> > release the code GPL'd?
>
> yes, as long as mr mccartney doesn't hold patents on some algorithms that
> a free implementation might come up with when trying to imitate sc's be-
> haviour (and you don't disassemble)

I had a quick flick thorugh the docs, all the unit generators seemed
pretty basic. Certainly none of the were patentable.

GNUcollider would be a great language for developing (fairly inefficient)
ladspa plugins...

- Steve