Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SuperClonider
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 02:38:51 EEST

>John Lazzaro wrote:
>>
>> > So rather than steal all the ideas from SuperCollider, why don't you inven
>> > something better?! Design a new language and create a new musical paradigm
>!
>>
>> No -- come work on Structured Audio instead. We're happy to have multiple
>> implementations of the language, as an MPEG standard for audio synthesis,
>> the _goal_ is to have multiple interoperable implementations. See:
>
>Hear, Hear!!! SAOL is a nice C-like language, that (IMHO) corrects all
>of the faults of Csound (which really should have been called
>'Assembler-Sound'). Also, the language is extensible, so you don't need
>to write "opcodes" in some higher level language, and then link them to
>the interpreter.

with all due respect to Eric S. and John L., as much as SAOL improves
on Csound, comparing it to SuperCollider is like comparing ... well,
its exactly like comparing an incomplete version of C to Smalltalk.

they are completely different conceptions of what a language should
look like, and we all know very well that the form of a language has a
big influence of what we do with it.

i am a huge fan of supercollider - it appears to me the best designed
language for algorithmic synthesis that i've seen. i think its a shame
that james is so attached to his mac environment, because if it was
available for linux, we would have just about the only tool i'd ever
need to use for synthesis.

for me, SAOL is still too connected to the Music N lineage, which
while a source of many noble achievements, was constructed by people
without any particular grounding in the design and implications of
programming languages. i don't love smalltalk very much at all,
whereas i love C and C++, but i'd much, much, much rather have a
smalltalk-like or lisp-like language for synthesis and processing
experiments than something that looks like SAOL.

still, you have to talk what you can get, and right now, SAOL is
available in a couple of forms for linux and supercollider is not.

--p