Re: [linux-audio-dev] Debian maintainer interested in Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Debian maintainer interested in Audio
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 22:08:34 EEST

* Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com) wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:08:50 +0200
> Enrique Robledo Arnuncio <erobledo_AT_iua.upf.es> wrote:
>
> > Well, you won't need to search hard. It is good practice for Debian
> > developers to contact the autor of the software they package, but it
> > seems this one did not... :)
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/libsndfile-dev.html
>
> Yes, I am aware of H. S. Teoh but I must admit that he is not a very good
> maintainer. I uploaded version 0.0.27 of libsndfile to my website in November
> last year and sent him a copy of my email announcement. He has still not
> pushed that version into Debian. In fact even the current version in Debian
> was a non-maintainer upload from someone else.
>
> What I am looking for is a Debian maintainer who is especially interested
> in audio who might want to take over from H. S. Teoh. It would be even
> better if it was the maintainer of another Debian package which depends
> on libsndfile.

Hi, I'm a Debian developer, and I am maintainer (as well as an upstream
author) for Audacity. Audacity depends on libsndfile in its unstable
branch, which we are not releasing yet but hopefully will release before
long.

I would be happy to maintain libsndfile, though Stefan would probably be
a good choice also. A lot will depend on whether H. S. Teoh is willing
to give up maintainership. Debian developers are very territorial about
their work, and if he does not agree (or does not respond) it will be
necessary to 'hijack' the package, which is considered rude. We would
need to demonstrate that he has been inactive for a long time.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>