Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 22:45:49 EEST

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:57:41PM -0400, Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> > I haven't read closely but this looks like it fits the bill perfectly.
> > You could run the 24V model off a pair of 12V batteries. Way cool!
> >
> > Would also be handy in a solar-powered studio. :)
>
> Am I missing something here? Why not just go to TrippLite and buy a UPS?

Most solar panels and other alternative power systems
produce 48V DC or 24V DC. For a studio, it seems silly
that we have to buy an inverter that produces rather
non-clean AC (it's not a very pure sine wave) just so we
can then plug in a bunch of devices that have their
own AC-to-DC converters. You waste some power on the
DC -> AC -> DC conversion and end up with a less-than-clean
power supply, and possibly get noise in the audio signal
as a result. I always thought it would be better to
replace e.g. the computer's PS with a pure DC power supply,
and apparently somebody else thorught so too.

Someday I'll have a 100% pure DC studio. :)

BTW, "clean" inverters exist that do a pretty decent
sine wave, but you pay extra.

--

"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"