Re[4]: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released

Subject: Re[4]: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 22:53:13 EEST

RB> I think you may be missing my point, namely that without a
RB> tidy, integrated package of development libraries occasionally
RB> projects just might never happen. As an application programmer
RB> I don't want to always be fighting an uphill battle against shifting
RB> or underpowered APIs - to some extent choosing the technology to suit
RB> the developers is as important as choosing that which best fits the
RB> problem.

There is *always* going to be that uphill battle, whether you are
using a standard desktop library or GUI libraries. Desktop's change
too, and what is to say KDE doesn't in the future redesign thing again
as in KDE1 to KDE2?

I totally disagree that the *easiest* path is the best path to take
just to get something realized in real code.

RB> But what about for those users who don't want a custom music workstation?
RB> What about for those users that require desktop to run alongside their
RB> normal, everyday applications? What about the person who doesn't
RB> want to build a smattering of external libraries every time they
RB> download a new music application to try out? What about coding to the
RB> reality of the situation and keeping our sights on attainable targets
RB> rather than coding to a _potential_ future?

Because KDE is not standard. You are making an assumption on what
people should use as a desktop and I know enough people NOT using KDE
for me to believe that it will never be a standard under Linux. There
will be no standard WM.

Now, if you can run your application with just KDElibs and use
whatever WM you want, then that I think is not bad. But if you *have*
to have KDE, I don't think that is good for the world of linux IMO.

As for user's that don't want a custom music workstation, that doesn't
mean they will use KDE.

Linux is not an operating system for simple users. It requires you to
actually *think* about what you need to do. Every assumption you make
takes away the freedoms that linux gives you.

I agree with you that it can be a pain to compile libraries and
install them, that along with all the different distro's and stuff,
but here is my simple statement:

Linux audio development to me is working towards a future system that
is tightly integrated, highly flexible, and extremely powerful. LAD
contains many pioneering people working together to build a framework
at a lower level to integrate things in a way not attained before. If
everyone works together to faciliate a powerful framework and an open
system, in the end you will have a working environement other OS's can
only dream of.

Now, don't get me wrong, when I get my new linux machine built I will
be trying out your software :) Just because I don't agree with your
library choices doesn't mean I won't try it out and use it :)

RB> Is it better having some software that works on a subsection of computers
RB> than none that works on lots?

No. Not in my opinion. To me it is better to have software that
works for the majority of users than a minority. If I felt as you do,
I would just use windows.

Rick