[linux-audio-dev] MIDI note and event transforms: a basic wish-list

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI note and event transforms: a basic wish-list
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 20:52:40 EEST

Greetings:

  Responding to suggestions from some developers I've attached a list of
the transforms ("xforms") found in Voyetra's Sequencer Plus Gold. I use
these transforms extensively and would like to see all of them in Linux
MIDI sequencers, but of course this list is only a suggestion... :)

Normal Transforms:

  Time:
    Quantize
    Super-quantize /* finer control over swing */
    Quantize duration
    Set duration
    Adjust duration
    Retrograde
    Offset
    Compress/Expand

  Pitch:
    Transpose
    Harmonic transpose /* select a scale or mode */
    Inversion
    Harmonic inversion
    Map

  Velocity:
    Set
    Adjust
    Crescendo
    Set NoteOff
    Adjust NoteOff
    Compress/Expand

  Split:
    Pitch
    Quantize
    Velocity
    Duration
    Modulus

  Random/Misc:

    Pitch
    Start time
    Velocity
    Duration
    Merge
    Track re-bar /* set all tracks to the meter of a selected track */
    Range re-bar

MIDI Transforms:

  Time: /* i.e., start-times of MIDI events such as aftertouch,
pitchbend, volume, etc. */
    Retrograde
    Offset
    Compress/Expand

  Value:
    Scale
    Shift
    Invert
    Map
    Map program changes

  Insert/Delete:
    Fill
    Crescendo (controller #7)
    Thin
    Eliminate duplicates

  Tempo: /* SPG dedicates a separate track to tempo events */
    Accelerando
    Scale
    Shift
    Thin
    Eliminate duplicates
    Tap-tempo

  All transforms can be applied to multiple tracks at once, and ranges
can be set by bar boundaries or any time within the starting and ending
measures. Transforming multiple tracks is normally contiguous, but muted
tracks will be skipped.

  I'll gladly supply more details about any of these transforms and how
SPG implements them, if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org