Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 01:03:50 EEST

On Friday 10 May 2002 17:10, Paul Davis wrote:

> and this is not trivial stuff: this is the core of how users (or
> programs that work on behalf of users) render ALSA usable, even
> though at first sight this stuff is a cryptic nightmare.

That's putting it politely. I understand, though. With power comes
complexity, and any driver architecture worth the name must be general enough
to handle many different classes of problems.

However, my particular application happens to fit within the "traditional"
stereo/interleaved/pcm mold rather well. It would be nice if there were a
way to support this model in ALSA without getting bogged down into a morass
of complexity. For all it's shortcomings, the OSS API was/is extremely good
at handling this particular type of application model.

Thanks for your help!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| It is one thing to praise discipline, and another to submit to it. |
| -- Cervantes |