Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 01:29:12 EEST

>OK, so is there a way to get this list of "simple names" from alsalib?
>Then you could have your .asoundrc definitions and selection-box too.
>I think that's what this frequently-asked-question is really getting
>at.

well, sort of. thats what the code in aplay for the -L case shows you how to
do. it doesn't include the enumerated devices of the form:

    type:card[,device[,subdevice]]

the working model (i think) is that you don't want to present names
like this to the user, and that its up to them (or a configuration
program working on their behalf) if they want easy names to access
these devices with.

--p