Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] PCM Device Enumeration
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 01:21:39 EEST

On Friday 10 May 2002 18:29, Paul Davis wrote:

> the working model (i think) is that you don't want to present names
> like this to the user, and that its up to them (or a configuration
> program working on their behalf) if they want easy names to access
> these devices with.

OK, help me with the philosophy here then. If the intent is to discourage the
use of interface IDs of the form 'hw:0,0', then why does the snd_pcm_open()
call *require* names in this form? To say "it's the responsibility of the
user to figure this out" is ultimately the same as saying "ALSA will never be
anything other than a programmers toy". I don't see any non-programer end
user ever bothering to take the time (not to mention having the ability) to
figure all this cruft out.

Is this making sense, or am I missing something here?

Cheers!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| We have art that we do not die of the truth. |
| -- Nietzsche |