Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 14:18:06 EEST

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Likai Liu wrote:

>> not possible.
>> this is "ladSpa": Linux Audio Development SIMPLE Plugin Architecture
> sigh, I knew these question would not yield any constructive answer.
> simple is a rather subjective term and that very much depends on
> personal preference. I did read through the ladspa header file before

Don't worry too much about that. It's just that the process of creating
LADSPA wasn't an easy one. When you have dozens of people of whom most
have developed their own plugin systems (some of them very complicated),
achieving any kind of compromise seemed pretty desparate.

The turning point with LADSPA was Richard Furse's determination. In the
end he was the one willing to do the actual work of writing a complete API
proposals along with documentation and examples. So it was the "show me
the code" attitude that again had the final say. :)

The situation really hasn't changed much. There's still numerous ways of
extending the API, but so far nothing has been done. The general consensus
has been (as I've interpreted it) that either convince Richard to adopt
your change, or create a new plugin standard. For instance MAIA -
http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ - is one project that aimed to provide a more
complete plugin interface.

> oh well, since linux is such an open platform, I might as well work out
> another set of plugin API called LADNSSPA - Linux Audio Developer's Not
> So Simple Plugin API.

Yup. The reasoning behind LADSPA wasn't that we should only have one
plugin API and that the API should be simple. On the contrary, we just
realized we need to start from somewhere, even if it means we have to make
a compromise and leave the more complicated features to application
specific plugin APIs for the time being.

PS And remember that "show me the code" method is brutal
   in its effectiveness. ;D

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!