Re: [linux-audio-dev] time-stretching filters (was: LADSPA Specs)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time-stretching filters (was: LADSPA Specs)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 17:18:01 EEST

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 03:59:32 -0400, Likai Liu wrote:
> linear interpolation is good for most purposes, however, if you're
> really concerned about quality, a second order spline interpolation
> (with quadratic formula) sound like a good idea. I know that "sox" has a
> more complicated resampling formula that works well with uniform noise too.

I disagee, I would say that cubic interpolation is the minimum acceptable
quality for audio, and where practical you should be using windowed sinc for
resampling.

Linear interpolation causes harmonic noise at -40dB (or there abouts),
which is quite audible. JOS's resampling pages have more information on
this.

- Steve