Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 01:09:34 EEST

>I appreciate when Paul Davis points out that a compressor/limitor
>needing an n-point curve is clearly why I need the array extension. A
>multi-band equalizer with non-fixed bands is also a very good example.
>However, I don't intend to solve the GUI automation issue. For a generic
>representation of an array, one can use a 2D cartesian coordinate plot.
>The envelope array can be displayed, from 0% to 100% of time as the
>X-axis (index), and the data is displayed as the value of Y = f(x). The
>array pairs can be displayed more generally as a table of two columns,
>even though it can perfectly be displayed as a 2D plot as well. I would
>like to point out that, since array is a flexible (or ambiguous) data
>structure, it largely requires the "hints" to make sense of it. That's
>why I devise here specific ways to represent specific kinds of arrays in
>the GUI.

but we've already established that LADSPA (like VST) cannot adequately
describe every parameter to allow easy automated GUI building. the GUI
control you're describing isn't adequate for controlling a dynamics
processor - the plugin would need to use LCP and provide a GUI to
control it.

this is the same reason that libvstgui exists - VST hosts can't
build an adequate GUI control for lots of plugin parameters - the
plugin has to provide its own GUI.

--p