Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Likai Liu (news_AT_likai.net)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 08:05:21 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

>but we've already established that LADSPA (like VST) cannot adequately
>describe every parameter to allow easy automated GUI building. the GUI
>control you're describing isn't adequate for controlling a dynamics
>processor - the plugin would need to use LCP and provide a GUI to
>control it.

at least when you use LCP or xmlgui to represent the parameters in the
most specific way, you still need a data port that can pass this kind of
data to the plugin. I do not intend to tackle the GUI issue here, just
the plugin interface. Without the interface, where comes the GUI? As I
said, array is a flexible data structure to naturally represent
multidimensional data. So far LADSPA only allows the passing of
zero-dimensional, single-valued parameter, which is exactly my intent
why we need an extension.

by the way, the idea behind this array extension is not new, is very
simple, and is straightforward. imagine programming in a language that
only allows single-value variables (no arrays, no pairs, no lists).

liulk