RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 00:22:13 EEST

I agree - rather than put the envelope in the plugin, I'd prefer the
envelope to be in a separate plugin wired up to a port (control or audio).
This is more flexible if someone wants to use a different control shape from
somewhere else.

Array data is a very useful data type - for wavetables, waveshaping, impulse
use all of these heavily in MN (my particular flavour of host). However,
these are all nontrivial and handled differently by different programs -
introducing each of these types makes it harder for host writers to satisfy
the API and (at the risk of being a complete bore) I'd prefer to keep LADSPA
simple. ;-)

For a general solution, see the first cut of LADMEA
(www.ladspa.org/ladmea/). There are already small problems with it, but it
does provide an API that does pretty-well everything. As a result it's
complicated, over-general and everyone hates it! Maybe I could fix this, but
(1) I'd need to show the code and don't have the time at the moment and (2)
Jack does the simple audio stuff that people really need much more simply
(although I have a feeling there'll be another when the limits of Jack are
struck...).

--Richard