[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 10:14:36 EEST

I take this to linux-audio-dev...

> > Feature request: alsa 0.9 support, preferably including
> > alsa sequencer support. I want to play these synths from
> If I can help please let me know ! What about MIDI control of the
> potentiometer / slider / switches ? I own all kind of doepfer's MIDI
> controller equipment, so my motivation to help is high ;-)

Actually, it would be really nice if the communication between
synthesis engine and gui would be (optionally) through the alsa
sequencer. This would 1) make it very easy to control the synthesis
parameters with some other program than the gui, typically a sequencer
or jMax or PD or even an alternative gui, and 2) make it possible
to record the parameter changes in a sequencer.

By default the bristol engine and gui would be connected, but the
user can decide to change that. This would really show the power
of the alsa sequencer. Nick, would there be any inconvenience in
using this approach, and how difficult would it be to implement?
(I did not look into the bristol sources... does the synthesis
engine fully implement the MIDI protocol of the emulated
synthesizers? Ah well, of course not all of them have a MIDI
protocol...)

Maarten

PS: Nick, are you on this list?