Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation
From: Dr. Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 11:16:10 EEST

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> Actually, it would be really nice if the communication between
> synthesis engine and gui would be (optionally) through the alsa
> sequencer. This would 1) make it very easy to control the synthesis
Yes, this is what I would like to see. I have already implemented this in
AlsaModularSynth. There you can bind any MIDI controller to any GUI
control (slider, combobox, checkbox). The controllers are selected from a
list, like e.g. in GDAM. The ALSA 0.9 code for this can be seen e.g. in the
example seqdemo.c in http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html#sect04
It's really simple.
However there is still the question of how to actually define the
bindings. In the case of the almost photorealistic GUI of the bristol
synths, there should not be any additional buttons for MIDI bindings.
So what about this: Define a key (e.g. 'M') to toggle between normal
operation and MIDI definition mode of bristol. In MIDI definition mode the
user can select a GUI element by moving or clicking on it. The event loop
will store the last GUI element that has sent an event in a variable
called e.g. selected_midi_gui_object. Now the user can move the MIDI
controller of his MIDI master keyboard or MIDI controller box. this will
the bind this controller to selected_midi_gui_object.
Another possibility would be to define bindings by right-clicking on the
GUI element while moving the controller of the MIDI controller box.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni
SuSE GmbH