[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation (fwd)

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation (fwd)
From: Dr. Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 16:48:30 EEST

Hi,

I was discussing with Nick about the bristol synthesis package. I forward
this, because I think this package is of high interest for Linux audio. So
the discussion should perhaps be in public on LAD.

Matthias

-- 
Dr. Matthias Nagorni
SuSE GmbH
Deutschherrnstr. 15-19    phone: +49 911 74053375
D - 90429 Nuernberg       fax  : +49 911 74053483

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:26:01 +0200 From: Nick Copeland <nick.copeland_AT_ntlworld.com> To: Dr. Matthias Nagorni <mana_AT_suse.de> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] bristol synthesis emulation

Hi Matthias,

> Why mixer ? What about using the jack interface from Paul Davis

By mixer I meant that the current audio API manages the PCM interface and the mixer device interface so that SLab was able to select signal levels without the use of an external xmixer type app. Bristol will not use this interface, but SLab needs it.

There is an intention to interface to Jack, but I do not want this to be the only access method since Paul appears to mandate that Ardour is then the mixer/plug interface. That is fine, but I do not want this to be the _only_ interface.

> use the standard MIDI controller events

This is likely to be a bit awkward. The events only have a single identifier, bristol uses objects and parameter indeces, both of which need identifiers. For example, DCO 1 might be object 0, and it can take, say, 5 parameters for waveform, sync, PWM, mod level and output level. DCO 2 might be object 1, and take the same 5 parameters. All this stuff needs some kind of mapping if we were to take the standard controllers. Its reasonably trivial work though, the GUI does this kind of stuff already.

> SYSEXs are mostly used for saving/loading presets and bulk dumps.

SYSEX are open for any use, I chose them since a 16 track mixing desk with diverse filter, effects, compressors, etc, needs a lot more controllers than are available otherwise.

I am on this list and am happy to put this on the discussion list and am already subscribed to the dev and user lists.

Regards,

Nick.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Tue May 14 2002 - 16:44:39 EEST