Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 17:25:21 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:21:04 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> so what do you think about the actual proposal? (*DataLocation =
>> default in connect_port)
>
>I don't think it gains anything over Richards original suggestion, does
>it? The problem is that it moves the definition of the defualt values away
>from the definition of the port's data.

agree. however i reckon it won't hurt too badly to have default values
no sooner than when the plugin is instantiated.

the LADSPA_HINT_DEFAULT_* solution looks very awkward to me, and
despite all the code it involves it isn't even capable of expressing
any value from the valid range.

i think it would even be better to break binary compatibility now than
force ourselves to support a kludge like this (sorry, richard) in
future versions of the API.

it is better to admit that we cannot have a perfect solution without
breaking binary compatibility, and thus should at least go for the
simpler one, i think.

tim