Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 12:00:48 EEST

I've been working on a rebuild of my application the Smurf Sound Font
Editor since last September. The new name for the program is Swami
(Sample Waveforms and Audio for Magical Instruments) and I will be
releasing it in a few days or so (in time for the LinuxTag). The new
architecture is object oriented and based on GObject with the SoundFont
editing completely abstracted from gui in a library currently called
libsoundfont. I'm planning on renaming this library to 'libinstpatch'
and making it a more general wavetable patch library in the near future.
Since it sounds like you have the same goals I thought I would inquire
as to whether you would like to collaborate on this project. I also had
planned to not try to provide a standard API to all formats (seems
completely insane to try :) but instead provide a base object (currently
called SFItem in libsoundfont) that provides a linked tree structure,
ref counting, and type information.
I currently have another library called libswami that wraps
libsoundfont. It contains property set/get functions, etc. I've been
contemplating as to whether this stuff should be put in libinstpatch or
not. I would really like to work with others on this, so I'm eager to
hear your answer :) Cheers.
        Josh Green

P.S. If you would like to check out the current libsoundfont API I just
uploaded the doxygen generated docs to the Smurf web site
(http://smurf.sourceforge.net follow the "Libsoundfont API" link on the
menu). The bulk of the code is in the SoundFont manipulation functions
which can be found on the Modules->Sound Font Interface page (yeah its
huge and should be split). The loading and saving APIs are separate from
the object system, so that programmers that don't need the object system
don't have to use it.