Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 00:43:58 EEST

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 03:00:48AM -0600, Josh Green wrote:
> [...]
> planned to not try to provide a standard API to all formats (seems
> completely insane to try :) but instead provide a base object (currently
> called SFItem in libsoundfont) that provides a linked tree structure,
> ref counting, and type information.
> I currently have another library called libswami that wraps
> libsoundfont. It contains property set/get functions, etc. I've been
> contemplating as to whether this stuff should be put in libinstpatch or
> not. I would really like to work with others on this, so I'm eager to
> hear your answer :) Cheers.

you're architecture looks nice. my aim is much less ambitious
though. i would just like to get the data out into a simple and
documented format that can then be used however one likes (converting
to another format, using in synths and sample playback engines, etc).

hopefully, this will make it reasonably easy to write plugins while
making the output data easy to use without further use of the tool.

so i think the two projects are more complementary than strictly
overlapping. i would like to see the format output from this tool
supported by your library. i'd also be interested in hearing your
thoughts on what information and in what format the output should be.

                        thanks,
                         rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu