Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools
From: Conrad Parker (conrad_AT_vergenet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 02:19:29 EEST

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 04:39:55AM -0400, rm wrote:

> i currently have a simple gtk based app called abrowse for the
> conversion of AKAI S1000/3000 sample libraries at
> http://abrowse.sourceforge.net/
>
> the current code base is around 3 years old, and i'm embarking on a
> bit of re-architecting. interest has been expressed for generalizing
> the program to include plugins to handle multiple formats.
>
> my current plan is to support akai S1/3k, giga, and possibly roland
> and emu formats. each plugin will support a path like abstraction for
> addressing data, output in mono wav (float or integer?) along with
> some set of properties in a key/value hash (in xml files perhaps?).

libsndfile (http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/) provides an
excellent simple API for addressing data, and read/write in
short/int/float/double (virtualised, ie. independant of what's on-disk).
Although it doesn't give explicit support for file properties it would
probably be trivial to add (via the existing sf_command() interface; Erik?)

You would probably save yourself the most time by contributing your
file readers to that (and then other applications built on libsndfile will
benefit from your work also :))

Next, you would write abrowse to use libsndfile, which is easier than
falling off a teflon log after drinking a bottle of vodka:

    http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/api.html

and you would instantly be able to export to not just WAV but also
AIFF, AU, and a bunch of others, even in floating point where possible.

Also, if you wrote file writers for each sample patch format, you could
just as easily convert between formats, even changing bit width on the
fly ...

Conrad.