Re: [linux-audio-dev] libsndfile (and Win32 cross compiling, possible?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] libsndfile (and Win32 cross compiling, possible?)
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 21:52:33 EEST

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 05:02, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On 04 Jun 2002 23:23:35 -0600
> Josh Green <jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > What would happen in the current implementation? Would it be truncated?
> > What I am wondering is if I use sf_read_short () for loading all samples
> > regardless of format will it work correctly?
>
> >From memory the problem was really one of consistency. I forget the exact
> details of this but I seem to remember that 24->16 bits was handled
> as above, but 8->16 bit aligned on the least significant bit.

Actually, I do remember that and had a little routine to convert 8 bit
data to 16 bit.

> I suggest that you forget libsndfile version 0 for new stuff. The first real
> release of version 1 should be out really soon. It would have been out two
> weeks ago but compiling on Win32 and MacOSX was broken and I wanted to fix
> it before release.

Sounds good :) I'll await your 1.0 release, take your time, he he (I've
got lots to do).

> Anyway, today I took possession of an iBook (which will run MacOS 9, OSX
> and Linux) and I also have just ontained access to a Win32 machine so stuff
> should be sorted out really soon.

Cool. I need to do the same myself with Swami. Forget MacOS 9 of course,
because GTK won't go there. I wonder about doing cross compiling with
mingw32 or something though, I remember reading something about this. It
would be really cool to be able to make a Win32 binary without having to
touch one of those machines :) (According to M$, once they have infected
your computer, it has to remain on that computer, at least when it comes
to educational entities, how evil can you get?). Anyone have any
experience with this?

> Erik
> --

Cheers!