Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering
From: Andrew Morton (akpm_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 00:42:18 EEST

Enrique Robledo Arnuncio wrote:

> > fragment latency = 2.902494 ms
> > cpu latency = 2.321995 ms
> > 3.3ms ( 0)|
> > 1MS num_time_samples=21477 num_times_within_1ms=21477 factor=100.000000
> > 2MS num_time_samples=21477 num_times_within_2ms=21477 factor=100.000000
>
> Or in other words, clean sound, and a beautiful latency graph.
>
> I have tried a few times, just commenting and uncommenting the 'load
> "dri"' line, and the results are always almost identical.

A number of PCI video cards hang onto the PCI bus
for outrageous amounts of time. It gives better
benchmarks in Windows magazines.

You may be getting bitten by this; dunno. Some xfree drivers
have an option to not use this (mis)feature.

Try adding

        Option "PciRetry"

to the "Device" section of your XF86Config file.