Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering
From: Enrique Robledo Arnuncio (erobledo_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 23:49:15 EEST

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:10:56PM +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 18:40, Enrique Robledo Arnuncio wrote:
> > ** mga driver
>
> Is that the matrox driver, or the xfree86 driver? I always use the
> (open source, I might add for all you nvidia owners) matrox drivers.
> The xfree86 ones just don't cut the mustard.

I am using the XFree86 ones, but are your sure there are so many
important differences?

From Matrox driver doc's:

>> The included display drivers are based on the Matrox driver source
>> included with XFree86. Modifications made by Matrox include the
>> addition of escape calls to support Matrox PowerDesk, and the
>> inclusion of the Matrox HAL library, which can be optionally
>> installed to enable Matrox specific features.

Which basically mean that they have taken the Xfree code, and added
support for they HAL library, which is non free and hides secret parts
of the hardware... and to PowerDesk (which is GPL).

But this seems to be mainly related to Video and MultiHead support. I
will try, anyway...

   Enrique.