Re: [linux-audio-dev] Initial relase of Swami

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Initial relase of Swami
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 05:11:55 EEST

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 17:11, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2002 05:09:17 -0600
> Josh Green <jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > To LAD list members:
> > I'm aware that there is a new Linux Audio Announce list, but I
> > thought that since this is an initial release announcement, all
> > would be forgiven :)
> >
> > Swami 0.9.0pre1 has been released. Swami is the new name of the
> > Smurf Sound Font Editor. Along with the name change comes an entire
> > object oriented source code re-write based on GObject with
> > supporting libraries. Some of the most notable new features include:
> > "iiwusynth" software SoundFont synthesizer support, removing the
> > requirement of specialized hardware for SoundFont synthesis and
> > delivering real time effects and SoundFont 2.01 modulators for
> > controlling generators via MIDI controls and more multi-item
> > operations.
> >
> > Swami website: http://swami.sourceforge.net
> >
> > Developers wanted :)
> >

> hey Josh! congratulations on this release! I've been waiting for it
> for a while now ;) The only thing i still dislike is iiwusynth being
> so incredibly slow :( Well, I'm downloading it!

Yes. This is something that is starting to be discussed again on the
iiwusynth list, and is also my only gripe about it. Its gotten better
though, a lot of it has to do with figuring out when voices have become
perceptibly silent so they can be turned off or re-assigned. I'm not
really doing much work on iiwusynth directly, since I've been pretty
busy with Swami but I do manage to keep up on their discussions though.
I think the synth sounds so good though that it somewhat out weighs the
CPU consumption :) I'm certain it will get speedier though (like I said,
it already has).

> Cheers
>
> Juan Linietsky

Cheers