Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] A novel approach to real-time free software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] A novel approach to real-time free software
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 02:11:10 EEST

On Monday 03 June 2002 17.10, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> I took the freedom to announce this here :)
> I think it is a _great_ step forward for
> low latency, besides the low latency and
> interruptible kernel patches.
>
> Announcement:
> http://www.opersys.com/press/prelease-adeos-020603.html
>
> LKML thread:

It is indeed good to see that there is a patent free hard real time
solution. (Software patents should be invalidated and made illegal
world wide, IMHO. They serve only the interests of the biggest
companies.)

Anyway, I'm afraid it doesn't help much when it comes to real time
multimedia. Simplified, ADEOS is a very low level kernel that can
provide low level services to multiple concurrent operating systems -
such as Linux and future versions of RTAI.

While RTLinux (and current RTAI versions) run Linux as their lowest
priority thread, the upcoming RTAI/ADEOS solution will basically run
RTAI and Linux as two separate operating systems, giving RTAI higher
IRQ priority than Linux, to enable RTAI to provide real time
scheduling to it's threads.

From the application POV, both approaches give the same result: Two
"worlds" with different schedulers and services - and unfortunately,
different drivers. That is, if you want real time I/O, you still have
to port Linux drivers to RTAI/ADEOS, just like you have to do with
the current RTAI, or RTL.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'