Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] A novel approach to real-time free software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] A novel approach to real-time free software
From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 13:32:16 EEST

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 01:11:10AM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> (Software patents should be invalidated and made illegal world
> wide, IMHO. They serve only the interests of the biggest
> companies.)

Nod, partially. Just invalidate after 2-3 year on the market
and after 1-2 year(s) if not marketed.

> While RTLinux (and current RTAI versions) run Linux as their lowest
> priority thread, the upcoming RTAI/ADEOS solution will basically run
> RTAI and Linux as two separate operating systems, giving RTAI higher
> IRQ priority than Linux, to enable RTAI to provide real time
> scheduling to it's threads.

Where ADEOS is superior, because its design is so simple, that
it is trivially proven to be deterministic (which is one of the
most important point of an RTOS).

> From the application POV, both approaches give the same result: Two
> "worlds" with different schedulers and services - and unfortunately,
> different drivers. That is, if you want real time I/O, you still have
> to port Linux drivers to RTAI/ADEOS [...].

That is intended. You are encouraged to write hybrid RT/Non-RT
programs by limiting you to a small core that is RT and a
full-blown (Non-RT-) OS, that provides you with all additional
services.

<shameless plug>
Our own project[1] is going even further by splitting the RT part
into a DSP program and a host program doing Non-RT-tasks. That
way nobody can beat you on low-latency, if you get your hands on
the right DSPs[2] ;-)
</shameless plug>

Regards

Ingo Oeser

[1] http://osg.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/forschung/linux+dsp/index.html
[2] Which is currently our real problem.

--
Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth