Re: [linux-audio-dev] decoding mp3 files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] decoding mp3 files
From: Kristian Peters (kristian.peters_AT_korseby.net)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 10:42:05 EEST

tim <tim_AT_ipd50abcd9.speed.planet.nl> wrote:
> i would be interested to know which psyco-acoustic model
> you are going to use to determine subjective quality. Perhaps
> you could elaborate on what you mean by quality - there have
> been reports recently that tried to evaluate lossy audio
> encoders by doing standard measurements, but while interesting, they
> are of limited value, as the trade offs used by the codecs
> are designed for minimal _subjective_ loss.

There're several ideas on that: I could count all discrete values of the differences file. Lower values mean a shorter loss of information. Another better scientific model would be calculating the cross correlation. (That's better for my Bachelor..) Maybe it's worth too analyzing the frequencies or the signal noise ratio.

If you're interested and when I'm allowed to I could post my studies (in german) when I'll have finished in September.

*Kristian

  :... [snd.science] ...:
 :: _o)
 :: http://www.korseby.net /\\