Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Kevin Hremeviuc (khremeviuc_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:26:08 EEST

Hi All,

It's obvious that we don't have all the programs that
are available for windows. Nor do we have the same
level of ui design/sophistication.

On the subject of ui s. I think the most important
thing about making music is a fluid work flow. If you
don't have that then things just end up being awkward
and are classic passion killers. This definitely
applies to software ui s. So scripting is out as a
core activity. But is in as a flexibility giving
addition.

everybody else', I think this is a question of how you
use software and not what you use. You can play a
million things/styles etc on a guitar. The same goes
for software synths etc.

In linux with open source it's all a question of
resources. Only so much can be done. But it definitely
looks like everything is heading in the write
direction. Certainly the core driver/ architecture
stuff, like alsa and jack is there.

Application wise we also have ardour, muse, jazz++
and a few other apps which are certainly heading
towards providing hard core user apps. Just look at
the amount of time that has gone into developing
these. Big jobs, very limited resources.

The truth is we will never have all the apps that are
available for windows ( unless commercial software
becomes a happening thing ). But if we are prudent we
can focus on the core type apps and frameworks.

When I say core, I really mean things like general
sequencing, and general hard disk recording and
mixing.

Luckily we already have these. They just have to
mature.

Kev

 --- Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> wrote: > >I think this
raises some questions.. My feeling is