Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 16:22:36 EEST

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Juan Linietsky wrote:

> 1-It's not a standard. ALSA/OSS are. If i want to write a driver, i
> will do for those.

In the open-source world, standards are defined by consensus. How do you
think gtk+ became a standard? People started using it. ALSA isn't in
POSIX either.

> 2-If i need low latency, i'm perfect with SCHED_FIFO and low
> fragmentsize in eithe alsa/oss.

But then you can't share data with other apps.

> 3-Device sharing is pointless for me if most other programs dont
> support JACK.

This is a chicken/egg problem. It doesn't hurt your program to support
JACK, and your program has much to gain when other apps support JACK as
well.

> 4-There's not really any useful reason I can think for my app sharing
> data with JACK apps, and i'm not going to write eveything
> jack-oriented for an API that's not really popular.

What's your app? What if I want to record its output into Ardour? Or
what if I want to record a softsynth into your app?

> 5-As I described in my previus mail, Most apps that i'd find cool that
> would support jack, just dont do.

Again, chicken/egg problem.

> 6-If dozens of users mail me per month with problems compiling
> Cheesetracker because of misconfigured GTK installs, think of the hell
> it would be if they had to compile jack.

I don't know the details of installing gtk+, but jack is just
./configure;make;make install. Just like every other linux program.

> For these reasons, I will not support or use JACK until something like
> it becomes part of alsa. Why? because I think jack is a mere hack to
> go around alsa/linux limitations instead of contributing to them or

The design ideas of jack have been reaffirmed by coreaudio, portaudio, and
rewire.

Taybin