Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio routing issues for linux..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio routing issues for linux..
From: Peter Hanappe (peter_AT_hanappe.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 14:55:19 EEST

Juan Linietsky wrote:

> I choose my favorite audio composing app, say muse.
> Now i choose my favorite softsynth, iiwusynth.
> Alsa works great for this... now
> Using a theorical audio routing api Iiwusynth will
> proovide me with the following audio sources: A stereo channel (gobal
> mix) 16 more stereo channels (for the instruments) and 2 more channels
> (effect send buffers). Now, I could create addition object and connect
> channels 1-5 of iwusynth to it. I can also get one of the send effect
> send buffer channels, connect it to a reverb object, and connect that
> to the final mix. I could also get channel 6 of iiwusynth, connect it
> to a distortion object and connect it back to the mix.

Actually, at LinuxTag, we were very close from sending MIDI events
from Muse to iiwusynth through the ALSA sequencer, and sending audio
from iiwusynth to Ardour through JACK.

In Ardour you can use the LADSPA plugins, or you could insert a LADSPA
host as a JACK client (SpiralSynthModular would be nice). You can also
insert Swami in the chain so you get real-time editing of the
SoundFonts.

It'd be nice if the iiwusynth could have multi channel out instead of
stereo so you can mix the instruments in Ardour, for example, and apply
per channel effects.

Anyway, the prospects of having all these applications interact are
a very stimulating for me as a developer and JACK and ALSA sequencer
have contributed a lot to that.

Also, writing the JACK driver was really easy.

> Now let's say that, since IIwusynth performance isnt that great and
> I'm using so many channels that i'm running out of CPU (dont kill me
> josh/peter ;)

Got the message! ;)

> Probably the easier and more natural approach to this is just
> integrating JACK to ALSA in some way.

JACK abstracts the underlying hardware layer. Audio driver are loaded as
a shared object which I think is a good design decision. ALSA is just
one of the possible drivers.

> What do you think?

Give JACK a second change!

Regards,