Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio routing issues for linux..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio routing issues for linux..
From: François Déchelle (Francois.Dechelle_AT_ircam.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 16:01:18 EEST

Vincent Touquet wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 06:09:01PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> (cut)
>
>>I think Kai Vehmanen did a much better job explaining this than
>>myself, since I dont know the internals of alsalib. I'll just repost
>>what he said:
>>
> (cut)
>
> Ok :)
> If you want what Kai and Taybin are referring to,
> its doable, it just needs a developer ;)
>
> For a while I was fearing you were wanting
> something else entirely.
>
> regards and sorry for the misunderstanding
> Vincent

You are looking for developers ? We have it :-) It's called the AGNULA
project (www.agnula.org).

One of the issues of the project is promoting "interoperability" of
audio applications, and in particular trying to advance on this point
of devices sharing, audio routing & co.

If I understand clearly the point, the foreseen working scheme would
be the following, using alsaserver and JACK:

App1 <->|<-> OSS |<-> ALSA <->| JACK <-> PCM HW
App2 <->| | server |
... <->| | |
             App'1 <->| |
             App'2 <->| |
             ... <->| |
                             App"1 <->|
                             App"2 <->|
                             ... <->|

this way we have:
  - sample-sync'ed applications using JACK
  - applications that use ALSA with a server device
  - applications that use OSS via ALSA emulation

Is this scheme doable ? What is missing now to implement it ? How
can AGNULA help it ?

Another question: can the OSS emulation lay on top of an ALSA
shm device and not on top of a hardware device ?

François