Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_div8.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 21:27:01 EEST

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, xk wrote:

> Of course, because your tracker it's written for your own personal use
> it's normal to not spend time implementing things you don't need.
>
> But developers which make software intended to be used by a large
> number of users should try to implement things people like even if
> they seem stupid to them. I'm thinking at FruityLoops which is the
> most popular program for electronic dance music. It's a
> tracker/sequencer hybrid which is easy to use and very powerful at the
> same time.

  This is fair. I know that usually I write software for myself, and
sometimes I try to throw in features that would make my software appeal to
a larger market. As a hobbyist my hobby is writing code first and making
applications/products second. There is too much code I want to write to
have enough time to spend a year polishing every app.

  Personally I see this as the 'flaw' with free software: most of it is
code first and application second. And I'm totally ok with that, although
it's awkward to read posts from users who expect things to work the other
way around. I just don't see the large number of hobbyist programmers
becoming product manager hobbyists any time soon, despite how badly the
linux userbase wants that. :)

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca