Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: nick (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 22:40:39 EEST

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 19:27, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Personally I see this as the 'flaw' with free software: most of it is
> code first and application second. And I'm totally ok with that, although
> it's awkward to read posts from users who expect things to work the other
> way around. I just don't see the large number of hobbyist programmers
> becoming product manager hobbyists any time soon, despite how badly the
> linux userbase wants that. :)

Exactly. I mean, I'm happy to let others use my software, but ultimately
I write it because I want a tool to do a particular thing. If people
want useability features etc.. then really someone's going to have to
pay for it. I don't see how anyone could have the time it takes to
polish a piece of software with no compensation.

What would be really good is if people donated money to the projects
they find useful (paypal/nochex), because I sure as hell dont see the
major distros supporting media apps development any time soon.
Maybe that's what's needed - a distributor making music systems, who can
then put money back into the apps.

Well, a man can dream...

Nick