Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_div8.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 23:37:15 EEST

On 12 Jun 2002, nick wrote:

> What would be really good is if people donated money to the projects
> they find useful (paypal/nochex), because I sure as hell dont see the
> major distros supporting media apps development any time soon. Maybe
> that's what's needed - a distributor making music systems, who can
> then put money back into the apps.

  I don't really see that as a viable option. If I solicit 'donations'
then I take on the implied obligation of doing work which may not be
possible or worthwhile due to time constraints: I think my time is worth
alot of money, probably more than my users think.

  I see only two options: Go all the way, ask all users to pay, lose
personal ownership of the project and turn it into a product, or ask
nothing and expect nothing. Anything in between puts everyone in a bad
position: users might feel obligated to contribute even though they have
no guarentee of getting anything for it, or the author might feel
obligated to continue working even though the financial reward is
insufficient and charity rather than market driven.

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca