Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Michael Toomim (toomim_AT_cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 00:03:06 EEST

nick wrote:
> Exactly. I mean, I'm happy to let others use my software, but ultimately
> I write it because I want a tool to do a particular thing. If people
> want useability features etc.. then really someone's going to have to
> pay for it. I don't see how anyone could have the time it takes to
> polish a piece of software with no compensation.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I don't think that this is universally
true. I think that there are people out there who enjoy polishing
applications more than writing internal code... people who would rather
be artistic interaction designers than slave away at nuts and bolts...
people who really want their programs to be popular.

The problem seems to be either...

      A) That there aren't enough of these people to go around.

      B) That these people aren't in touch with the people who want to
write code, or just have a hard time coordinating with them.

or C) That these people aren't very deeply involved with the linux /
free software circles... maybe because being a good designer doesn't
necessarily make one a good geek.

So maybe the problem is that you need people who are both good designers
AND good geeks, because without the geekdom they won't be hanging out on
this mailing list?

Michael