Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Chris Butt (chris.butt_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 02:33:24 EEST

> The problem seems to be either...
>
> A) That there aren't enough of these people to go around.
>
> B) That these people aren't in touch with the people who want to
> write code, or just have a hard time coordinating with them.
>
> or C) That these people aren't very deeply involved with the linux /
> free software circles... maybe because being a good designer doesn't
> necessarily make one a good geek.

May I suggest another possibility? The learning curve is huge.
Consider lots of people (including me) get potted linux distributions.
Mandrake for example, which now installs better than windows.
Installing software at first appears to be as simple as downloading an rpm.
Compiling from source is a major experience the first (few) time(s), and
it's fine when it all works well, (as long as you know where everything
ended up), but when it goes wrong it's very confusing.
Alsa, jack and so on look really cool, but when the only available html
documentation is for how to install the now-unsupported 0.5 and phrases
like 'installable kernel modules' crop up - you start to wonder if maybe
that bundled oss/free that works already isn't all that bad...
My exams are over in just over a week, and I intend on getting my pc
running linux full time with alsa and stuff. I really want to help do
/something/ in the linux sound area - at the moment I'm very definetly
on the needing help stage.

Is there an open source careers advisor somewhere that can give you a
questionnaire, find out what you're capable of, and find something for
you to do? Even if it's designing chromy skins for audio apps or writing
a complete dumb-ass's (TM) guide on alsa and jack for beginners?

I like the way mozilla says 'Hey, you don't need to know nothing to join
in, just do this, testcase that, submit bugs, etc.'
Could a bugzilla be set up for linux audio as a whole, so people could
be told 'hey.. you only need a minimum of 6 years experience in the pro
audio industry, the ability to create your own linux distro and a degree
in musical instrument technology to be useful'.
Sorry... I'm sure that isn't the case, but it feels that way to me
sometimes - :)

But yeah, could something like agnula or the lad site have a 'so you
want to help but you can't compile alsa' or 'things for people with
little skill but enthusiasm'?

Yours, intimidated
Chris Butt
?8}