RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network -inter-host audio routing

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network -inter-host audio routing
From: Men Muheim (muheim_AT_gmx.ch)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 12:55:11 EEST

> Indeed I have and it is, in fact, what I plan to be spending most of
> this summer working on. I don't know if you've seen gison's magic,
but
> it sounds very similar what you're doing:
>
> http://magic.gibson.com/

Looks interesting. Thanks for the info.

Magic seems to be a "network like" replacement for ADAT/MADI, if I
understand the specification correctly. According to my opinion this is
still too audio sample oriented. I would like to have one network which
allows IP communication as well as audio routing. IEEE1394b seems to be
a good choice for that. It allows sample synchronization, provides QoS
and supports UTP cabling up to 100m.

The discussion here should not be about the network but about an audio
API which is independent of the underlying network stack.

> > During the last year I have implemented a library that does such a
thing
> > for a custom, synchronous network.
>
> Perhaps we can help each other? My intention was to write either an
> alsa driver, or a seperate magic driver, that deals with all the magic
> network stuff, while exporting interfaces to alsa or jack, or whatever
> api fancies using the magic network.

I think the first thing to do is to define an audio API that reflects
network capabilities and design the according audio library / server.
Maybe the server could base on some of the JACK technology. Only after
that the "network driver" comes into place.

What do you think?

> I'm eager to see your code :)

I guess just publishing my code would not help too much without any
documentation or explanation. A minor problem is that the code is not my
property but belongs to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology as I
am employed by them. But I am sure I could convince them that making the
code open source would help more than just burying it in an archive:-)
Give me some time to check that...

Regards,

Men