Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 16:43:44 EEST

On Thursday 13 June 2002 09:29 am, Charlieb wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Steve Harris wrote:
> > MAS works over LANs, and should be capable of 10ms latency, which isn't
> > very low by BTW. You certainly can't play an instrument with 10ms
> > latency.

> Nonsense! What about tubas ?
> I admit a guitar would feel pretty awful w/ 10 ms latency, an oboe or
> trumpet only fells a little "slow to speak", and a Tuba , well, that
> would be an exceptionally responsive low brass...

French Horn. Its bore is as long as a tuba's. I have played horn before, and
there is a definite, barely detectable delay between initiation of the note
and the perception of the note (which is both by ear and by hand in the case
of the horn). The long bore is one reason the horn's attack is quite mellow.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio