Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Joseph A. Sarlo (jsarlo_AT_mambo.peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 17:04:26 EEST

> > MAS works over LANs, and should be capable of 10ms latency, which isn't
> > very low by BTW. You certainly can't play an instrument with 10ms
> > latency.

Really? You might want to check my math on this, but if the speed of sound
in air at 75 degrees F is about 1135 feet/second, then it takes about
0.00088 seconds, or 0.88 ms, for the sound to travel 1 foot. So in 10 ms
the sound would only travel about 11.35 feet. If you were playing an
electric guitar and the amp was 11 feet away, there would be a 10 ms delay
and I don't think you would have a problem. I've done it many, many times
without a problem anyway :)

Joe

--