Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Mike Andrews (rocko_AT_shiman.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 18:18:27 EEST

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Steve Harris wrote:

> Have a look at MAS, they had an impressive demo at LinuxTag:
> http://mediaapplicationserver.net/
>
> It works with X but doesn't require it IIRC.
>
> That API is not that similar to jack, but hey.

Thanks for mentioning us, Steve!

We're focused on network transparency and time sensitive data routing.
And, we've been working with X.org to give the X Window System some
standard audio support (it's about time, don't you think?!)

As for the API... it's closer to hellish than stable right now. There is
no "pull-style" playback interface component to it yet, like jack's, but
we're planning on providing one alongside a traditional UNIX kind of push
interface.

-Mike