RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 22:08:16 EEST

In my experience, audible separation of acoustic events normally happens
around 20ms (ignoring phase effects). Most instruments (including guitar)
are entirely playable with this sort of delay.

The pipe organ example is a good one - there is a huge variety of delay on
pipe organs, probably beyond the half second (I don't have the figures, but
there's often a significant delay between keypress and note as well as the
acoustic delay). I'm fine with small delays, but fast passages becomes
continuously less comfortable as the delay increases. The same is true for
other instruments such as guitar.

BTW, as I keep moaning, I think network audio is an important "next step" in
LAD development and ideally could be combined with the kind of step required
to get JACK firmly off the ground. I'm still plugging LADMEA ideas
(www.ladspa.org/ladmea/).

--Richard