Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 23:21:58 EEST

> How about the 1.0-1.5 ms latencies that everbody tries to obtain (or
already
> has) in both Linux/Win world? That always made me wonder if this isn't
just
> hype like the 192 kHz issue.
>
> I'm not a professional musician, but a 25 ms latency makes me more than
> happy.

I would say that for playing a software synthesizer realtime a latency of
10ms or less is ok. I'm not sure what latency most hardware synthesizers
have, but this will probably not be much better, sometimes even more than
10ms. Only the transmission of a noteon/off MIDI command will use
1ms (3 * 320usec, no running status).

--martijn