RE: [OT] RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: RE: [OT] RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 00:37:22 EEST

No, but this is the reason why most organ consoles have a mirror allowing
the organist to watch the conductor and why in many cathedrals there is a
separately located set of pipes for use with choral music (generally
controlled by an upper manual, labelled "choir"). As long as the organist
follows the conductor and the pipes are near the choir, there isn't a
problem anywhere in the acoustic. There's more of an issue when there is a
distance between sound sources (e.g. organ and congregation in a cathedral,
however this musical form doesn't rely on precision).

I went to a recent Bach Choir performance in Westminster Cathedral that was
really very bad in terms of spatial separation - the organ was at one end
and the choir towards the other. We were in the middle and the overall
effect was very out of sync. Sounded like about 0.3s worth to my ear, but
that is a guess from stale memory. The performance was good in other ways.

Ramble ramble ramble...

--Richard

[...]