[linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots
From: Richard Bown (bownie_AT_bownie.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 13:42:55 EEST

I'm know this has been asked and answered before in some manner but I'm
currently thick and low on ideas and none of my searches are working.

When generating a graphical preview of an audio file at various different
resolutions you obviously get slightly different pictures of the same
envelope depending on how you extract and interpret the sample information
at the dithering resolution you require.

I'm pretty sure I was playing around with some kind of interpolation
algorithm a while ago that (I assumed) would give this consistent view
at the various resolutions I required. I just never got it to work
and now can't remember how it worked, what it did or where it was. I'm
pretty sure it was on a website someone linked on LAD or ALSA but I
could be wrong.. What I do remember is that it had separate attack and
release paramters and, hmm, that's where I run out of steam.

Any clues much appreciated.

Thanks,

http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden
http://www.bownie.com