Re: [linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 13:29:24 EEST

>Hi, there was a thread about a patent on caching samples before reading (for
>the evo softsampler), which prevented someone from caching the beginning of th
>data to be able to play it at once when needed.
>
>I had an idea, and wanted to post it here for discussion / prior art if it
>turns out to be useable, but if we can't cache the audio in our buffers, why
>not let the OS VMM do it ?
>
>If we pre-read the information, then throw it away (thus not caching it
>ourselves), it may still be cached by the linux io cache, isn't it ?
>
>Thus, the next time we'll read it, we have a fairly good chance to be able to
>read it at once ?
>
>Is this approach safe or useful ?
>what do you think ?

i proposed the very same idea here last year. its not clear that you
could totally get around the patent, because at some point, you'd have
to read some part of the data, and an experienced coder would be able
to demonstrate that the purpose of the read was to bring data into the cache.

i don't think that anybody on the list is a lawyer, and i never got
around to asking my US-IP lawyer friend about it.

--p