[linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea
From: makapuf_AT_free.fr
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 12:09:13 EEST

Hi, there was a thread about a patent on caching samples before reading (for
the evo softsampler), which prevented someone from caching the beginning of the
data to be able to play it at once when needed.

I had an idea, and wanted to post it here for discussion / prior art if it
turns out to be useable, but if we can't cache the audio in our buffers, why
not let the OS VMM do it ?

If we pre-read the information, then throw it away (thus not caching it
ourselves), it may still be cached by the linux io cache, isn't it ?

Thus, the next time we'll read it, we have a fairly good chance to be able to
read it at once ?

Is this approach safe or useful ?
what do you think ?