Re: [linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 15:32:46 EEST

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:57:22 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> But what if (as Bill says) a peak falls initially between the graphical
> sample points and then when you change the graphical resolution and resample
> it suddenly appears? Ok, this would probably only occur for some potentially
> very steep transients but surely peaks could get missed? When your graphical
> resolution is lower than your sample resolution (which, let's face it is
> going to be true always) then how should you interpret the underlying envelope?

That is why you need to work with peak data, not samples.

On a similar subject, when zoomed in to the samples/pixel level, the
correct interpolation is sinc (see cooledit for an example of this).

I doubted that DA converts really produce something that matches the sinc
shape, but after trying it with an oscilloscope I can confirm it.

- Steve