Re: [linux-audio-dev] alsa and ... ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] alsa and ... ?
From: Andy Wingo (wingo_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 03:46:04 EEST

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Another API to consider is SndObj by Victor Lazzarini, to get at
> http://www.may.ie/academic/music/musictec/SndObj/main.html
[...]
> Now if someone with more Jack knowledge than me would add a jack
> object to this library, writing ALSA support could be skipped at all.

Now, see that's the neat thing. It takes all of a couple hours to be
proficient at Jack programming, assuming you already understand
multithreaded programming. The api is (well, to me) beautifully simple -

client = jack_client_new ("client-name")

jack_port_register (...)
jack_port_register (...)

jack_port_connect (...)
jack_port_connect (...)

jack_set_process (client, process_func)

jack_activate (client)

process () {
  buffer1 = jack_port_get_buffer (...)
  buffer2 = jack_port_get_buffer (...)

  do_interesting_stuff_here (buffer1, buffer2)
}

Whereas, I spent weeks working on GStreamer's alsa plugin before getting
anything out. Granted, that was mmap mode, but still...

So, the point is, now you have the tools to do it yourself ;)

regards,

wingo.