RE: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 22:36:49 EEST

  freeamp is the application that has IMO good implementation of such a
model, xmms/winamp are IMO sucky (in this area) - the biggest usage problem
being that it's always the same size (too small for my taste) [and, of
course, all the skins look basically same:-)] what I don't like about it is
that all it provides is superficial change of look - all the items (buttons
etc.) are in the same places (and of course, they are all the same buttons
with same functionality) - very shallow and useless - basically a hint of
what can be done.

  freeamp allows you to specify bitmaps of arbitrary size/shape for gui
elements and place them where you want (there's an xml file that specifies
the GUI), you can omit the GUI elements you don't need/want in particular
skin etc. - that makes it possible to really make a difference - e.g. you
can create a skin that would make it easy to dock/swallow it in some launch
pad/task bar/whatever (e.g. small play/stop and volume controls) or you can
create a big full screen art work that also serves as mp3 player etc...

        erik